Step 4: Business Licenses & Permits


In order to run a fashion business, you need to get various licenses.

Each state has its own requirements but typically you would need a: Sellers permit, Business license, Import/Export license (if you are importing/exporting items).

Sellers Permit

Sellers permit is required regardless if you are an Ecommerce or Brick/Mortar store. If you are selling clothing, accessories, shoes etc you would need sellers permit.

Sellers permit enables you to collect sales tax from buyers. You can pay the sales tax each quarter along with your business taxes.

When applying for sellers permit, you would provide the following information:

•  Social Security Number(s) (corporate officers excluded)
•  Driver License(s) or another form of identification such as a U.S. passport
•  Email address (contact and business)
•  Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
•  State Employer Identification Number (SEIN)
•  Corporate name, corporate number, State, and date incorporated (if you are a corporation)
•  Name, address and phone number of partner(s), corporate officer(s), member(s) or manager(s)
•  Name(s) and phone number(s) of personal references
•  Name(s) and address(es) of supplier(s)
•  North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
•  Standard Industrial Classification (SIC)
•  Bank Information (name and address)
•  Name and account number of the merchant credit card processor
•  Name, address, and phone number of the person(s) who maintains the books and records

Each city has its own set of requirements; you can call your local city hall to find requirements for you (information shown above is for California). 

You can find appropriate offices for your city here: IRS website.

Business Licenses 

Every fashion business needs to have a business license. And again, it will vary based on city/state you are in.

You can visit SBA website to find more details or connect with your lawyer who can answer your questions.

Fictitious Business Name

If your acting business name is different than your LLC or Corporation name, you would need to file a Fictitious business name (a.k.a DBA).

If not, then you don’t need to worry about this.